At last week’s City Club forum, we learned about Fires, Forests, and Foes from the Deschutes Collaborative Forest Project (DCFP). The power of bringing together a group with contrasting perspectives for a singular purpose was demonstrated through the stories told.
Great quotes to live by from the forum:
“Step back and look through a different lens.”
“Everyone has an equally valid opinion.”
Resources to learn more about the topic:
- Watch a video explaining how fuels reduction slowed the Milli fire (regarding Sally Russell’s story):
- View Paul Hessburg’s TEDxBend Talk to learn about forest restoration.
- Learn how Project Wildfire helps Deschutes County create long-term wildfire mitigation strategies and provide for a disaster-resistant community
- Read about the Forest Service’s plans for the Deschutes National Forest.
- Learn about the Forest Service’s Chief’s Honor Award received by the Deschutes National Forest Service and DCFP.
- See lots of great additional resources on the DCFP’s resource web page.
- Witness a prescribed fire first-hand at the High Desert Museum as they restore a portion of their forest. It’s scheduled to be as early as the first week in April, depending on conditions, in conjunction with the Forest Service. Watch the local news and the High Desert Museum website for updates!
The question was asked, how can the community get involved?
- Learn, share, and stay engaged
- Be curious, ask questions
- Tell other Central Oregon locals and visitors about what you learned at City Club.
- Follow the DCFP Facebook page and subscribe to the DCFP Newsletter for information and updates.
- Participate in organizations that preserve Central Oregon’s forests:
City Club thanks all the participants!
- Panelist David Stowe, Sierra Club
- Panelist Melanie Fisher, Central Oregon Trail Alliance
- Panelist Peter Caligiuri, The Nature Conservancy
- Panelist Chris Johnson, Whitefish Cascade Forest Resource, LLC
- Moderator Mary Orton
- Guest speaker, Sally Russell, Mayor Pro Tem & Bend City Council
- Forum Presenting Sponsors Froelich Engineers, Miller Lumber, Steele Associates Architects
- Supporting Sponsors Bend Park & Recreation, and SunWest Builders.
- Special recognition to the many audience members who also contributed to the conversation!
We have the world to live in on the condition that we will take good care of it. And to take good care of it, we have to know it.
And to know it and to be willing to take care of it, we have to love it.-Wendell Berry
Craig Letz, Mary Orton, and Jessica Biel – City Club forum team
City Club of Central Oregon