City Club of Central Oregon is a nonprofit, nonpartisan civic affairs organization that promotes active citizenship to build a stronger community.
The mission of the City Club of Central Oregon is “to build a conscious and civic minded community through dialog, education and research that results in responsible civic engagement.”
People are constantly saying, “If only I could make myself heard, then we might be able to make some positive changes.” Many of us feel there is a disconnect between our government officials and the people who elected them. We look at the complex issues of our society and wonder if there will ever be a forum where all viewpoints can be expressed.
Some concerned citizens in Central Oregon decided to do something about it. They decided to form a “City Club” that would provide an objective forum where people can rationally and calmly discuss important issues from a variety of viewpoints. From the inception of their idea in the summer of 2006 to the first monthly forum in 2007, more than 137 people had agreed to join them. That membership swelled to 350 by the end of the first year.
City Club exists for the community benefit of Central Oregonians through voluntary and funded services. Its mission is to build a conscious and civic minded community through dialog, education and research that results in responsible civic engagement.
Accordingly, the City Club of Central Oregon has articulated six goals:
- To build a conscious and civic minded community, aware of our individual and collective impact as citizens
- To stimulate dialog on subjects that matter in our region and communities in a manner that honors diverse perspectives
- To promote informed community decision making and construction action
- To optimize the civic health of our region through inspired civic conversation
- To forge new relationships within the Central Oregon Community that serve as a foundation for effective engagement and optimum development
- To help grow the next generation of civic-minded leaders in our region
- Focus with other like-minded organizations on building a community by design
With declining civic engagement, the issues facing our increasingly globalized world are becoming more complex. And the activities that traditionally boost citizens’ understanding of these issues—like newspaper readership—are also in decline.
City Club is a vital organization that provides a rejuvenation of civic engagement. Engage with City Club of Central Oregon and demonstrate your support to all generations.
The City Club is supported by the gracious generosity of Founding Sponsors, our Media Sponsor, annual membership fees, program sponsorship and the generous contributions of City Club donors.